[Gangwon-do] Wonju Munmak「Mini Foreign Investment Zone」 - Regional Exhibit Hall
- Area : 867.3㎢ (1.43 times that of Seoul)
- Population : 326,000 (130,000 households)
- GRDP (2011) : KRW 5.551 Trillion *18.4% of Gangwon-do's total GRDP (KRW 30 trillion)
- Regional characteristics : Geographical centerpiece connecting the western and eastern parts of Korea and hub of inland transportation
※ Only 40 minutes away from Seoul, Wonju is one of the best cities for business due to its close proximity to the Capital Area
- Transportation network :
- 2nd Youngdong Highway (to be completed in 2016), double-track railroad connecting Wonju and Gangreung (1hr away, to be completed in 2016)
- Double-track railroad (Joongang Line) connecting Cheongrangri and Wonju (completed in 2012,) Wonju Airport
A Mini foreign investment zone has been designated among various national or regional industrial complexes in development in order to attract foreign-invested enterprises by offering competitive rents and tax incentives.
※ Article 18 of Foreign Investment Promotion Act.
- Location : Bangye-ri, Munmak-eup, Wonju-si, Gangwon-do
- Area : 99,132.3㎡ (within Bangye General Industrial Complex, Munmak, Wonju)
- Business Types of Tenants : Medical device, auto parts, machinery, metallurgical, electronic/electricity, food, etc.
- Qualification requirement for tenants : A company entirely owned by a foreigner or wherein the share ratio of foreign shareholder(s) is 30% or more, with the total amount of capital investment made by foreign investor(s) at least KRW 100,000,000 or more
- Rental fee : Temporarily set to KRW 10,000/3.3㎡ per year
※ Investment of USD 1 mil. or more in a business that involves high technology: 100% exemption from rents
- Organized by : Governor of Gangwon-do (entrusted to Korea Industrial Complex Corporation)
Layout and Incentive
|Item||Rental fee discount and tax incentives|
|Rental Fee||Temporarily set to KRW 10,000/3.3㎡ per year|
|Requirements for discounts||
Advantages for Investment
- The manufacturing industry in Wonju has been growing rapidly by 8.5% per annum on the average.
- Wonju has been designated as a Enterprise City(5,290,000㎡) and an Innovation City (3,612,000㎡) in Gangwon-do at the same time.
- Wonju's medical device cluster development project has become an epitome for local industrial development programs in Korea.
- Dongwha Exclusive Medical Device Complex, Wonju General Medical Device Support Center, Medical Engineering Dept., Yonsei Univ.
- Development of Wonju National Industrial Complex in progress, with the theme of combining medical devices and auto parts industries.
Key Indices and Business Infrastructure
- The no. of medical device businesses in Gangwon-do (2012) accounts for 5% of the entire industry in Korea, constituting 21% of national production output and 24% of national export value.
* Average production and export performance per company are KRW 5.1 billion and 8 billion, respectively, which is 3 times the national average.
- 6 industrial complexes in the city (2,305,000㎡)
- Largest auto parts industry base in Gangwon-do (25 companies, 2,700 employees)
- 3 graduate schools, 4 universities, 2 colleges, and 15 high schools
- Top special high schools in country, including Medical Device Meister High Schools and Gangwon Science High School
- Call Manager Management Dept. opened in 2012 in Sangji Youngseo University and Wonju Politech III
Wonju's Industrial Infrastructure
- Gangwondo Global Business Department : T.+82-33-249-2082
- Wonju City Business Support Team : T.+82-33-737-2991
- Wonju Branch, Gangwon Regional HQ, Korea Industrial Complex Corporation : T.+82-070-8895-7652